[CS-FSLUG] OT: Now that SSL has been cracked, watch out

Marco Tedaldi marco.tedaldi at gmail.com
Thu Oct 6 11:29:16 CDT 2011

On 05.10.2011 03:09, Fred A. Miller wrote:
> *Now that SSL has been cracked, watch out*
> <http://ifwnewsletters.newsletters.infoworld.com/t/7662791/120843336/587219/0/>

SSL has been cracked? Wow!
I'd look out for more reliable news sources if my source would tell such
crap! (sorry for the language but I can't find another word that fits here).

There has been a weakness detected in an old version of SSL theat should
not be used anymore anyway. It allows an attacker to inject code to some
degree (which is really bad stuff!).
On propperly updated systems, there is no problem at all.

Way more reason for concern is the fact that some companies that have
been deemed "trustworthy" could not keep the infrastructure save. this
way, some thugs could create fake certificates for websites that are
accepted by our webbrowsers!

It's not SSL that's the problem. It's the way that certificates are
organized! But there is a lot of money in the certificate business so it
won't change soon.

best regards

Marco