[CS-FSLUG] Five Reasons why Google's Linux Chromebook is a Windows killer

Jon Glass jonglass at usa.net
Fri May 13 01:01:25 CDT 2011

On Fri, May 13, 2011 at 6:01 AM, Fred A. Miller <fmiller at lightlink.com> wrote:
> After years, decades, of talking about Linux taking on Windows on the
> desktop, we finally have a serious contender with a serious backer, Google,
> behind it.

Well, in your article, I would suspect that only points 1 and 4 are
valid, at least from the perspective of IT departments. For the user,
though, I don't see any benefits. There's not a single person on this
list who would want a Google ChromeOS laptop to be their work
computer. I don't know anybody who would want this. I see it being
best in schools, but even there, if the claims against using Macs all
these years ("students need to learn to use 'business' computers" i.e.
Windows) are to have any validity, the schools should reject these
outright!

Lastly, any true Linux fan, IMO, should not be behind this, as neither
Android nor Chrome are true Linux operating systems. They are built on
a Linux shell, but ignore the vast bulk of what Linux is! Google is,
in a manner of speaking, thumbing its collective nose at Linux.

The longer I look at this, the less I see to like, but that's my
perspective. Oh, and here's Laptop Mag's take: