[CS-FSLUG] IE6 in todays market place

Marco Tedaldi marco.tedaldi at gmail.com
Tue Jun 14 12:02:26 CDT 2011

On 10.06.2011 21:07, davidm at hisfeet.net wrote:
> The first thought was that "wine" (last time I looked) depends on IE6. I
> don't use wine, but many do.  But the second qoute (above) made me think
> that IE6 may still be viable for some older computers (and for that matter
> the whole of the ten year old windows OS) on smaller, older computers
> still in wide use in third world countries, or among poorer populations in
> wealthier places. (or course most or all of these installations will be
> pirated and/or completely unsupported)

No. I think the point is a whole different one.  Only a minority of the
computers in these countries run with an original windows bought from
MS. About around the time IE7 came out, MS started to refuse certain
stuff when you did not voluntarily sign up for the WGA (I don't see the
advantage of my system refusing to work and having a remote kill switch
installed) stuff. So people deactivated automatic update (I've seen such
systems... they belong to eeryone on the internet, but not to the user
who owns it!). You can't even update to some versions of IE (might be
from 7 onward) without WGA activated.

So by enforcing copyright on customers that can't pay license fees, MS
puts the internet community as a whole at risk. A great world we live
in, isn't it?

> I followed the following link from that article to this interesting
> (biased) chart.
> http://www.theie6countdown.com/default.aspx

Have you ever thought about what a grat tool WGA is? Every windows
computer with WGA enabled can be bricked by microsoft remotely.
I', really curious why It has not been done in the past. Most
administrations in the countries of this world depend heavily on
windows... just shut the computers off there. Either with a fake update
(MS can force updates to be installed immediately even if automatic
updates are set to "notify only"!)
I'm not american citizen. And I can't understand how our administration
can rely on a system from a foreign country where they have no chance to
look behind the surface! That's more than irresponsible!

And I've not forgotten about this funny "NSA-Key" story in a windows dll...

You have nothing to fear as long as you are not criminal? How long,
until it is enough to be a christian to be forced to hide?!

Just think about it...

No, I won't trust any windows system with any valuable information ever!

cu

kruemi