[CS-FSLUG] Canonical and Shuttleworth add Qt to Ubuntu Linux

Fred A. Miller fmiller at lightlink.com
Thu Jan 20 21:11:17 CST 2011

Want to start a fight in Linux desktop circles? Say, loudly and
obnoxiously that Qt <http://qt.nokia.com/>, the programming libraries
behind the KDE <http://www.kde.org/> desktop, are better than GTK+
<http://www.gtk.org>, the libraries backing GNOME
<http://www.gnome.org>. Or, vice-versa. Either will work. Now, though,
Mark Shuttleworth, founder of Canonical <http://www.canonical.com>,
Ubuntu <http://www.ubuntu.com>'s corporate big brother, is bringing Qt
software to Ubuntu <http://www.markshuttleworth.com/archives/568>, long
a GNOME stronghold.

So far I haven't heard any shouting from the programmers' corner, but
give it a minute.

Shuttleworth made the announcement writing, "As part of our planning for
Natty+1 [Ubuntu 11.10], we'll need to find some space on the CD for Qt
libraries, and we will evaluate applications developed with Qt for
inclusion on the CD and default install of Ubuntu."

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/open-source/canonical-and-shuttleworth-add-qt-to-ubuntu-linux/8102

--
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
Thomas Jefferson