[CS-FSLUG] TightVNC as botware?

Karl Kleinpaste karl at kleinpaste.org
Tue Feb 15 06:23:12 CST 2011

Ed Hurst <ehurst at soulkiln.org> writes:
> I was wondering if anyone had ever heard of TightVNC as a means to
> remote control for nefarious reasons.

I get VNC attempts to my externally-visible machine on and off all day.
I have firewall rules in place to refuse and log the attempts; the rules
are sensitive to the public interface, so I can still use VNC on my
local net or via ssh tunnel.  Yesterday, I had "just" 9 attempts; that's
a little light, it's usually closer to 20.

VNC-based attacks have been /de rigeur/ for several years.