[CS-FSLUG] Laptop Power Jack

Tim Young Tim.Young at LightSys.org
Sun Dec 18 07:45:25 CST 2011

This looks like a decent page on how to disassemble your computer.
http://ahwee.com/how-to-disassemble-laptop-dell-latitude-d620

The power appears to be built into the motherboard, but I have only
found two main ways this gets "disconnected".  Usually, there are
some solder joints where the power plug meets the motherboard.  This
is a page talking about some of those issues on a different laptop:
http://www.laptoprepair101.com/laptop/2006/01/28/toshiba-satellite-m35x-a75-power-jack-problem/
I can often simply heat up the solder where the plug meets the laptop
and "re-solder" it.

If you have opened computers before and if you have done some
soldering before, a laptop is not as frightening a prospect as many
people think.

Laptops have a lot of screws, but with a little caution, they are not
difficult to take apart.  The main thing is to set yourself up so you
can keep the screws separate from each-other and have a way to
remember which screw came from where.  Lots of different laptop
components have different sized screws, and putting a long screw in a
hole where a small screw is supposed to go can cause issues.  If you
are careful not to "force things" and you keep your screws in
separate piles for each section you remove, you should be fine.

I have also seen it where the whole corner of a motherboard was
cracked off and the whole power section was no-longer connected.
That one took a little more creativity to get working.

     - Tim Young