[CS-FSLUG] Confessions of a Dumb Spreadsheet User

Tim Young Tim.Young at LightSys.org
Tue Apr 12 09:32:50 CDT 2011

Of course, any time someone talks about how you can put 10 years
worth of data into any one thing, my thoughts immediately switch over
to thoughts about "backups"  :)

My wife and I use a database package that we created, that does about
the same sort of thing.  The end result is that we can better see how
we have spent our finances instead of giving us strict guidelines on
how to spend the finances.  When we were first married, we had some
long discussions about the concept of a "budget."  I was thinking
that a budget was supposed to guide your spending habits (put
limitations on spending), while my wife thought it was something that
let you observe how things are spent and give you a baseline to
compare things to.  We have the world's most flexible "budget".  As
missionaries, we do not have a consistent income (the amount changes
fairly regularly), and we spend about 8-months of the year driving
from one mission to the next, so our gas expense changes
dramatically.  So our "budgeting" program allows us to change the
budget after the fact.  We look to see where our funds were spend, we
look to see how much came in, and then we change the budget
accordingly, though the sum of all budget items never exceeds the
amount that came in that month.  If we go over budget in a category
one month, we keep a negative amount in that category until we "pay
it back off" the next month or two.  Originally, I thought this was
the most insane form of "budgeting", as it threw out the concept of
being a guideline to follow.  But it does do what it needs to do, in
that we can see, month-by-month, how we have spent our money and make
sure we are not over-spending for our income.

All that to say, it is fun to learn new technologies, but it is
better yet to hear that you have a good budgeting system that works
for you.  I think we all need to be wise stewards of our finances,
regardless of the wacky ways, technologies, or methods we use.  And
it seems like you may even be having some fun while doing it.  :)

     - Tim Young