[CS-FSLUG] Browser Text Editor Application

Jon Glass jonglass at usa.net
Tue Sep 28 16:11:52 CDT 2010

On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 2:54 PM, Ed Hurst <ehurst at soulkiln.org> wrote:
> But I'd rather it not be browser specific. Oh, well; I can dream. I'll try
> to get with someone who has time to code something like this in JScript or
> whatever.

As I did some reading on this topic, I discovered that the problem may
actually be the one thing you want--saving to the hard drive. It turns
out that Java has to run in a sandbox in the browser, and you need
certified extensions, etc. in order to access the file system. Since
these are all controlled by a centralized agency, and, apparently,
must be paid for, it probably isn't going to happen via a local java
or javascript app. :-( And yes, my understanding is likely wrong.

I was going to suggest Tiddlywiki, having played with it in the past,
but since plain text file saving is what is wanted, it doesn't really
fit the bill, but may be an acceptable alternative.

--
 -Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland