[CS-FSLUG] How could this be happening

David McGlone david at dmcentral.net
Tue May 11 19:26:51 CDT 2010

On Tuesday 11 May 2010 19:49:38 Lincoln Fessenden wrote:
> On 5/11/10 7:05 PM, David McGlone wrote:
> > Hi all, About a year ago I installed Kubuntu on my sisters computer.
> > Today she sent me this.....
> >
> > <quote>"Hi David,
> >
> > I'm having issues with Linux...I think I have a virus...
> >
> > I have received 3 notices from Roadrunner in the past 3 months telling me
> > spam is being sent from my email address. I was told since I don't use a
> > wireless router that it was from a virus. The first time it happened I
> > assumed it came from Windows, so I downloaded a free virus protection and
> > it did find things and got rid of them. However, I have received another
> > notice today...I don't use Windows often, and I don't have a virus there.
> > The Roadrunner tech said I can get a virus on Linux, which I didn't think
> > I could. If this keeps happening they will discontinue my service. I
> > tried to download a free virus protection for Linux from the same place I
> > got my one for Windows, but I can't figure out how to run it so I deleted
> > it...
> >
> > I like Linux, however, I have decided I would rather uninstall it and
> > just stick with Windows. I have never had this problem with my ISP until
> > I started using Linux! The only thing I do on Linux is email and
> > internet. Anytime I type something or print something I have to use
> > Windows. I downloaded Firefox in Windows because I like it better than
> > Internet Explorer.
> >
> > So, can you give me step-by-step instructions to uninstall Linux so I
> > don't have this problem anymore. It's becoming more of a headache than
> > it's worth!!"</quote>
> >
> > Anyone got any ideas?
>
> Sure!
> First, tell her not to worry, she most likely does not have a virus on
> Linux.  The first indication is that Ubuntu does *not* install a mail
> server by default.  That means that unless you installed one for some
> reason, the likelihood of the spam actually coming from her computer
> while running linux is quite low.  She also does not have to worry about
> any linux mail client or browser being able to execute any malicious
> active-x code, etc..

I gave her the basic user install. No mail server. She wouldn't have a use for
it.

> Now, that being said, she may indeed have one on windows that her
> antivirus program does not detect, or perhaps a trojan.  Windows
> frequently suffers from both of these and refuses to report on them
> until they have a documented and tested fix available.  In fact, quite
> recently a virus scanning software vendor released malicious code in one
> of their own updates.
>
> Windows also suffers from the afore mentioned issues with arbitrarily
> executable code run in web browsers and mail clients, not to mention
> email address harvesting and spam sent with spoofed email "from" addresses.
>
> I am sure that a clean windows install and a bit of security tootlage
> would clear her problems up, or perhaps just get her to give up her
> Windows install altogether.  Update her Kubuntu install and make sure
> she knows how to get into OpenOffice and that her printer works under
> linux.  Have her stay out of Windows and she'll find that she doesn't
> have any further issues.  Warn her that if, indeed, as we all suspect,
> that her Windows install it at fault, her switching to windows full-time
> will only ensure that her virus problems get worse and fast.

I agree... Although, her printer is a crappy old lexmark and she does have to
boot over to windows at times to print things. I am trying to get me some
money together to get me a new Printer and give her my trustworthy HP all-in-
one so she doesn't have to worry about booting to windows to print.
--
Blessings,
David M.