[CS-FSLUG] How could this be happening

David McGlone david at dmcentral.net
Tue May 11 18:35:33 CDT 2010

On Tuesday 11 May 2010 19:19:41 Fred A. Miller wrote:
> On 05/11/2010 07:05 PM, David McGlone wrote:
> > Hi all, About a year ago I installed Kubuntu on my sisters computer.
> > Today she sent me this.....
> >
> > <quote>"Hi David,
> >
> > I'm having issues with Linux...I think I have a virus...
> >
> > I have received 3 notices from Roadrunner in the past 3 months telling me
> > spam is being sent from my email address. I was told since I don't use a
> > wireless router that it was from a virus. The first time it happened I
> > assumed it came from Windows, so I downloaded a free virus protection and
> > it did find things and got rid of them. However, I have received another
> > notice today...I don't use Windows often, and I don't have a virus there.
> > The Roadrunner tech said I can get a virus on Linux, which I didn't think
> > I could. If this keeps happening they will discontinue my service. I
> > tried to download a free virus protection for Linux from the same place I
> > got my one for Windows, but I can't figure out how to run it so I deleted
> > it...
> >
> > I like Linux, however, I have decided I would rather uninstall it and
> > just stick with Windows. I have never had this problem with my ISP until
> > I started using Linux! The only thing I do on Linux is email and
> > internet. Anytime I type something or print something I have to use
> > Windows. I downloaded Firefox in Windows because I like it better than
> > Internet Explorer.
> >
> > So, can you give me step-by-step instructions to uninstall Linux so I
> > don't have this problem anymore. It's becoming more of a headache than
> > it's worth!!"</quote>
> >
> > Anyone got any ideas?
>
> Yes, chances are there's NO VIRUS on the Linux portion of her 'puter.
> However,
> there IS a chance that those she knows and use MickySoft are sending her
> a virus now and then, and she simply passes that along to others. It
> happens, and
> to be honest, probably with ALL of us. In addition, I have RR and have
> NEVER heard
> of them telling anyone that they're going to cut service because of an
> occasional
> virus! THAT is bogus! Further, I'd want EXACT proof that what I had sent
> out had
> a virus.....the file that supposedly had it, etc., so that it could be
> examined by US
> here to arrive at the truth.

I was flabberghasted. I almost didn't know what to say to her, so I just told
her that if she believed that linux was the culprit all she needed to do was
simply not boot it and just choose microsoft on the grub menu.

It's sad. I think she was just a tad too quick to blame linux.

--
Blessings,
David M.