[CS-FSLUG] How could this be happening

David McGlone david at dmcentral.net
Tue May 11 18:05:48 CDT 2010

Hi all, About a year ago I installed Kubuntu on my sisters computer. Today she
sent me this.....

<quote>"Hi David,

I'm having issues with Linux...I think I have a virus...

I have received 3 notices from Roadrunner in the past 3 months telling me spam
is being sent from my email address. I was told since I don't use a wireless
router that it was from a virus. The first time it happened I assumed it came
from Windows, so I downloaded a free virus protection and it did find things
and got rid of them. However, I have received another notice today...I don't
use Windows often, and I don't have a virus there. The Roadrunner tech said I
can get a virus on Linux, which I didn't think I could. If this keeps
happening they will discontinue my service. I tried to download a free virus
protection for Linux from the same place I got my one for Windows, but I can't
figure out how to run it so I deleted it...

I like Linux, however, I have decided I would rather uninstall it and just
stick with Windows. I have never had this problem with my ISP until I started
using Linux! The only thing I do on Linux is email and internet. Anytime I
type something or print something I have to use Windows. I downloaded Firefox
in Windows because I like it better than Internet Explorer.

So, can you give me step-by-step instructions to uninstall Linux so I don't
have this problem anymore. It's becoming more of a headache than it's
worth!!"</quote>

Anyone got any ideas?

--
Blessings,