[CS-FSLUG] Missed by a few miles

Ed Hurst ehurst at soulkiln.org
Mon May 10 20:05:43 CDT 2010

For those of you who are aware of tornadoes passing through Oklahoma
today, the nearest was a good three miles away from me. We are fine, but
several swathes of the state have been shredded. No major urban areas were
hit -- yet -- but several really nice rural housing additions were
obliterated. The path crossed nearest us at a truck stop on Interstate 40
at Choctaw Road. The Love's on the north side is roofless, there are cars
rolled and crushed. (For Google Earth or Maps, that's SE 59th and Choctaw
Road, SE OKC.) On the south side of that same intersection, a couple of
U-Haul trucks were tossed into the trees, and I understand a
tractor-trailer rig received similar treatment. We are still hearing fresh
reports on the local news channels as emergency response crews are
mobilized across the state.

This isn't the first time I noticed utility companies do things backwards
everywhere I've been. In around Salem, Oregon, they buried the electric
lines, which are often broken in minor earthquakes. They never have
serious storms, of course, so the law prohibits suspended wires. Here,
they just started burying the lines where we almost never have
earthquakes, but frequent outages from storms.

At any rate, you might wish to pray for folks who lost pretty much
everything. Most of them are saying it's just stuff, and they are glad to
be alive. Still, lots of folks are now suddenly homeless, and a few are
dead.

--
Ed Hurst