[CS-FSLUG] Old Cowboy

Fred A. Miller fmiller at lightlink.com
Mon Aug 16 20:49:15 CDT 2010

On 08/16/2010 12:34 PM, David McGlone wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-08-16 at 12:15 -0400, Fred A. Miller wrote:
>
>> > One Sunday morning, an old cowboy entered a church just before services were to
>> > begin. Although the old man and his clothes were spotlessly clean, he wore
>> > jeans, a denim shirt and boots that were worn and ragged. In his hand he carried
>> > a worn-out old hat and an equally worn, dog-eared Bible.
>> >
>> > The church he entered was in a very upscale and exclusive part of the city. It
>> > was the largest and most beautiful church the old cowboy had ever seen. The
>> > people of the congregation were all dressed with expensive clothes and fine
>> > jewelry. As the cowboy took a seat, the others moved away from him. No one
>> > greeted, spoke to, or welcomed him. They were all appalled by his appearance and
>> > did not attempt to hide it.
>> >
>> > As the old cowboy was leaving the church, the preacher approached him and asked
>> > the cowboy to do him a favor. "Before you come back in here again, have a talk
>> > with God and ask him what he thinks would be appropriate attire for worship in
>> > church." The old cowboy assured the preacher he would.
>> >
>> > The next Sunday, he showed back up for the services wearing the same ragged
>> > jeans, shirt, boots, and hat. Once again he was completely shunned and ignored.
>> > The preacher approached the cowboy and said, "I thought I asked you to speak to
>> > God before you came back to our church."
>> >
>> > "I did," replied the old cowboy.
>> >
>> > "And what was his reply?" asked the preacher.
>> >
>> > "Well, sir, God told me that he didn't have a clue what I should wear. He said
>> > he'd never been in this church."
>> > --
>> > "Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it
>> > tougher for sober people to own cars." - Unknown
>>
> This couldn't come at a better time!!!
>
> Last week the preacher at my church quit because he thought too many
> people in the church were not dressing accordingly, which from what I've
> seen wasn't bad at all, but his idea of proper attire was a suit and
> tie. So he left because the board would not back him up in trying to
> make everyone wear suits.
>
> This church is also in an upscale neighborhood.
>
> Between what happened at my church and this E-Mail, I cannot deny that
> He is in our presence!!

Yes.....He is! I don't like to see anyone dressed scruffy nor stink, but
the latter is
plainly bad manners anywhere. Those who have more money than the rest of
us,
or think they do, are often tempted to be more concerned with the
"outside" of
someone than the "inside." This view most often keeps them from doing
our Lord's
work, assuming they know what it is.

Fred