[CS-FSLUG] Old Cowboy

Fred A. Miller fmiller at lightlink.com
Mon Aug 16 11:15:18 CDT 2010

One Sunday morning, an old cowboy entered a church just before services were to
begin. Although the old man and his clothes were spotlessly clean, he wore
jeans, a denim shirt and boots that were worn and ragged. In his hand he carried
a worn-out old hat and an equally worn, dog-eared Bible.

The church he entered was in a very upscale and exclusive part of the city. It
was the largest and most beautiful church the old cowboy had ever seen. The
people of the congregation were all dressed with expensive clothes and fine
jewelry. As the cowboy took a seat, the others moved away from him. No one
greeted, spoke to, or welcomed him. They were all appalled by his appearance and
did not attempt to hide it.

As the old cowboy was leaving the church, the preacher approached him and asked
the cowboy to do him a favor. "Before you come back in here again, have a talk
with God and ask him what he thinks would be appropriate attire for worship in
church." The old cowboy assured the preacher he would.

The next Sunday, he showed back up for the services wearing the same ragged
jeans, shirt, boots, and hat. Once again he was completely shunned and ignored.
The preacher approached the cowboy and said, "I thought I asked you to speak to
God before you came back to our church."

"I did," replied the old cowboy.

"And what was his reply?" asked the preacher.

"Well, sir, God told me that he didn't have a clue what I should wear. He said
he'd never been in this church."

--
"Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it
tougher for sober people to own cars." - Unknown