[CS-FSLUG] Don't Tread on Me?

Jon Glass jonglass at usa.net
Sat Aug 14 09:15:32 CDT 2010

On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 11:41 PM,  <davidm at hisfeet.net> wrote:
> I like your comparison (weak and inadequate tho it is).

It is always unwise to take any comparison too far. That is one of the
biggest mistakes, for instance, that most people make with Christ's
parables. They generally (with the exceptions of the ones Christ
HImself interpreted), are making only one, simple point. (Example, the
parable of the prodigal son. The only people who matter in that case
are the father and the elder son--the prodigal is only there to create
the background against which the elder son's reaction is built, which
reaction is the whole point of the parable--same for the good
samaritan)

Comparisons cannot stand too much scrutiny, nor should too much be
read into them. To be honest, I was merely trying to sort of keep some
"on topic" sense to my point. ;-)

> And I agreee that
> decentralisation has been and remains  a hallmark of biblical
> Christianity. But only as we use that decentralisation as individual
> followers of Christ to focus on the true Center: Christ, and to follow
> HIM. And to the degree that we do that, we find ourselves drawn together
> in Him.

Sorry, but I saw that as a tautology, since that is the supposed and
stated goal of all "church" organizations, is it not? The question is,
which allows Christ and the Holy Spirit the most freedom to work--or
put this way, which is the biblical of the various options? That is
rather stark, but, I really don't think people want to read the long
version of why I think this way.... :-)

--
 -Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland