[CS-FSLUG] Hard drive won't format - or maybe stay formatted.

David McGlone david at dmcentral.net
Sat Aug 7 07:42:02 CDT 2010

On Sat, 2010-08-07 at 02:17 -0400, davidm at hisfeet.net wrote:
> Below (marked by: ****++++****++++) is the procedure that I went
> through,
> working from Puppy 5 in the CDrom. As you can see at the end the disk
> does
> seem to be properly formatted as ext3 /dev/sda1.  But I could not
> mount
> the disk.  When I tried I got a message that said I must identify the
> type
> of disk, SI tried that, and got the message that it could not mount
> because it could not be found in fstab or mtab.  Working in puppu I
> couldn't figure out how to find fstab or modify it. The structure
> seems
> quite different.
>
> I checked with gparted to see how it saw the disk, and it identified
> it as
> sda1, but unknown file type, and only 232 GiB in size. I did not
> attempt
> to modify it in gparted.
>
> Then I rebooted and checked it with fdisk -l again, and it appeared to
> have retained it's format. But I still could not mount it.  I did find
> fstab and entered a line for sda1: " /dev/sda1  /mnt/sda1  ext2,ext3
> noauto  0  0 " and a dir as /mnt/sda1 but still could not mount, even
> after another reboot.
>
> Here is the message I got, together with the dmesg | tail:
> # ls
> cdrom  data  dvd  flash  floppy  home  msdos  ram1  sda1  swap  zip
> # mount /mnt/sda1
> mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sda1,
>        missing codepage or other error
>        In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
>        dmesg | tail  or so

David, I don't think mount allows the use of 2 file system types on one
line. If the partition is ext2 use that option like this:

/dev/sda1  /mnt/sda1  ext2 noauto  0  0

here is an my fstab line for an example:

/dev/sdb8	/home/david/www	ext3	user,auto

Notice I removed 0 0 at the end of the line, because with it, I get the
same mount error. the first 0 is the dump option and the second 0 is the
fsck option, I couldn't tell you if they are required in the line, but I
do know with them, I couldn't mount either.

--
Blessings,
David M.