[CS-FSLUG] Hard drive won't format - or maybe stay formatted.

Tim Young Tim.Young at LightSys.org
Thu Aug 5 16:09:24 CDT 2010

  You should have that fdisk on your system.

man 8 fdisk

The above command should give you the directions for fdisk.
But basically:
fdisk /dev/sdb
(where /dev/sdb represents the device you want to destroy)

Then there are a number of one-character commands :
m = help  (it really means, 'M'enu)
d = delete
n = new
p = print
w = write & quit

So, basically, start with pressing p and then enter.  Make SURE this
is the device you want to toast.
Then, use d to delete ALL the partitions
then, do a "w" to save it.  See if you get one of the errors telling
you it cannot make the change.  If it gives you an error, send it to us.

If you do not get an error, then you need to go back into fdisk and
use n to create a new partition table the way you want it.   When you
are done (press p to verify it looks like you want it to), use w to
write it back to disk.  Again, look for any error and send it on to
us if there is one.

You can do:
fdisk -l
(where that is a lower-case L)
to simply print information about the devices and the partitions they
have.

     - Tim