[CS-FSLUG] Copying files and permissions

sjm sjm.mlists at gmail.com
Mon Apr 12 18:42:30 CDT 2010

Ed Hurst wrote:
> Permissions I get, as well as chmod and the octals. What I don't get is
> how I can copy large numbers of files and directories from a VFAT jump
> drive or NTFS external harddrive without having to go back and ding
> around with permissions.
>
> I have a nice 250GB external drive someone gave me, and I use it when
> helping folks with computer problems. Recently, an owner asked me to
> install Ubuntu on their machine. Pulled all the files off onto the NTFS
> drive, installed Ubuntu, the copied them all back. With my limited
> knowledge, I knew I'd either have to copy as is, and have everything
> tagged with execute bits set, or copy with MC, turn off the "keep
> attributes" and end up with 0600 on everything, including folders.

Same a Josiah, I don't have something nearby to test, but a couple of
thoughts:

- format part of the external drive as ext3 for future use.  (And I
usually use rsync for copying with permissions saved so I can pick up
later where I left off if the connection fails.)  Remember that
permissions are by uid and gid, so if those change between boxes, saved
permissions would need ownership changed anyway.

- What trouble are you having with chmod -R?  (Remember that X (not x)
only sets executable for those that are already executable.)

- I like cwRsync for Windows though can't remember how permissions
transfer right now.

- Tim Young probably has a better answer. :)

sjm