[CS-FSLUG] Copying files and permissions

Ed Hurst ehurst at soulkiln.org
Mon Apr 12 17:33:24 CDT 2010

Permissions I get, as well as chmod and the octals. What I don't get is
how I can copy large numbers of files and directories from a VFAT jump
drive or NTFS external harddrive without having to go back and ding around
with permissions.

I have a nice 250GB external drive someone gave me, and I use it when
helping folks with computer problems. Recently, an owner asked me to
install Ubuntu on their machine. Pulled all the files off onto the NTFS
drive, installed Ubuntu, the copied them all back. With my limited
knowledge, I knew I'd either have to copy as is, and have everything
tagged with execute bits set, or copy with MC, turn off the "keep
attributes" and end up with 0600 on everything, including folders.

Is there a way to set a permissions filter for the process so we get
sanity? Or is there some fancy incantation I can use with something like
chomd -R that I haven't found so far? Even using Nautlius, it won't work
on large collections of directories. At least, I couldn't get it to
operate on more than one folder at a time.

--
Ed Hurst