[CS-FSLUG] General Advice SSDs and Linux

Ed Hurst ehurst at soulkiln.org
Sat Apr 3 13:33:54 CDT 2010

Chris wrote:

> I'm not sure how much benefit there is on a lightly loaded laptop
> though. I'm guessing you would get the most joy when loading large
> programs.

Yes, I understand it reads a whole lot faster than it writes. Some
complained of very long install times under Windows -- four hours for XP
in one case -- but really fast after that.

I was thinking in terms of boot time, access to Firefox, OO.org, and
reduced power consumption -- i.e., longer battery life. As it is, I'll
be forced to hold off another month.

--
Ed Hurst