[CS-FSLUG] News Crawlers?

Davo Smith christiansource at davosmith.co.uk
Thu Sep 24 02:22:14 CDT 2009

On Thu, Sep 24, 2009 at 12:09 AM, Don Parris <parrisdc at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> My brother can subscribe to RSS feeds, but wants to filter out the articles
> he doesn't want to see.  So some sort of aggregator with keyword filtering
> seems best.  I don't use this much, so really am not sure what to
> recommend.  Whatever the solution is, it needs to run on Windows, since
> that's what he uses.  Any thoughts on this?  Do any of you do this?

Yahoo Pipes is worth trying out - it allows you to pull in one or more
feeds, pass them through all sorts of different filters and then
output the final result as a new RSS feed (along with lots of other
functionality). You can then subscribe to that feed using any standard
feed reader (I've not found anything to beat google reader for that).
Best of all, Yahoo Pipes is browser/web based, so should work on any
computer (with ie7+, firefox 3+, etc.).

Davo