[CS-FSLUG] What if DNS goes down?

Legatus lists at runyanrants.net
Fri Sep 18 13:44:22 CDT 2009

On Fri, Sep 18, 2009 at 13:39, sjm <sjm.mlists at gmail.com> wrote:

> > ... of course, when I entered http://208.43.84.98 I got to
>
>> a place-holder page for cPanel. So it's not a perfect method...
>>
>> At any rate, the short answer is: if you know the I.P. address of the
>> web site then you don't need DNS -- but DNS does make it a lot easier!
>>

> As you saw, this doesn{t work reliably if there are virtual sites on a web
> server.  All the sites have the same IP address, but the webserver uses the
> name to know which site to display.

The name is contained in the http header. All you have to do is add the name
to a hosts file, and the named virtual host will be resolvd.
--
JD Runyan

Samuel Goldwyn<http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/s/samuel_goldwyn.html>
- "I'm willing to admit that I may not always be right, but I am never
wrong."