[CS-FSLUG] Karmic Koala

Ed Hurst ehurst at soulkiln.org
Fri Oct 30 22:29:17 CDT 2009

I suppose my hardware is precisely the wrong thing for some distros. Or
maybe I'm asking too much.

On openSUSE 11.2 (64-bit) -- After a week of KDE 4.3, I found it not quite
so useful as the 3.x versions. Too many config items were removed, but it
was fun watching the Compiz effects. Stability was good. However, there
were plenty of little niggling things I just didn't like. The bundled
Opera browser kept freezing. When I replaced it with the more generic
(Qt3) version from Opera itself, it worked much better. Another problem
was sound related. When I plugged in my headphones, I still got sound
through the speakers. Google indicated a half-dozen completely different
"fixes" and none helped me. Best I could tell, it was something in how
SUSE (Alsa) detected the hardware, but I figured it might be something in
KDE.

So I tried the GNOME desktop. No help on the sound issue. Worse, the
64-bit Adobe Flashplayer quit working in all but Seamonkey. I had been
testing it in Opera and Firefox, but it refused to run under GNOME; worked
okay in KDE. I dunno, but it seems to me Novell invests an awful lot in
repackaging stuff with lots of SUSE-specific enhancements, and it breaks
stuff. Lots of little stuff on the edge of notice just didn't work right,
didn't feel right. Totally subjective, so I can't really judge. Yes, I
know it's not yet a full release, but 11.1 felt exactly the same. I'm
inclined to think SUSE is moving somewhere I just don't want to go.

With all the hoopla over Ubuntu Karmic, I gave it a test run. Nice.
Everything worked cleanly. And for once, something Debian-based got the
fonts right! I've long noticed no matter how I configured it, Debian-based
systems always did something to the font rendering which made it fuzzy
compared to RPM-based systems and BSD. Maybe I'm the only one, but I could
always tell the difference. Not any more. This one was sharp and smooth at
the same time.

So I installed it. I'm hoping I don't get the X server lockups I had with
the previous release. I'd like for something to just work and let me keep
it.

--
Ed Hurst