[CS-FSLUG] Yes, Ubuntu can absolutely be the default Windows alternative

David McGlone david at dmcentral.net
Thu Oct 29 04:57:56 CDT 2009

On Wednesday 28 October 2009 23:32:14 Cia Watson wrote:

> > > Yes.....gratefully, it hasn't!
> >
> > 	Yup, and perhaps more importantly, unlike either of those companies,
> > Ubuntu is dedicated to Free Software, so their contributions benefit
> > the whole community...
> >
> > 	-Tim
>
> Actually, from what I gather, Redhat / Fedora is a tad ahead of Ubuntu
> in their dedication to free software. By that I'm talking about the Mono
> debate, or issue. See:
>
> http://www.theopensourcerer.com/2009/06/02/redhatfedora-drops-mono/
> which I got on a Fedora forums thread:
>
> http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=223113
>
> Speaking of Fedora, I'm beta-testing Fedora 12; installed using the live
> CD. It installed evolution email by default, it didn't ask... so I
> decided to try it. I hate to say it, but I sort of like it. Claws mail
> is a bit faster, but not by much. And evolution seems less kludgy than
> Thunderbird, and evolution renders my html email's better than Claws
> mail. So I may have found a new email client... in case anyone
> cares. :-)

I just recently dumped evolution and installed Kontact because it managed
identities much better. I have 4 other people here that use e-mail and with
evolution, I couldn't left click on their folder and choose to use their
identity for sending automatically from that folder instead of having everyone
try to remember to switch identities before sending.

--
Blessings
David M.