[CS-FSLUG] Nvidia Dying?

Fred A. Miller fmiller at lightlink.com
Sun Oct 25 13:37:45 CDT 2009

Josiah Ritchie wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 25, 2009 at 2:13 PM, Ed Hurst <ehurst at soulkiln.org> wrote:
>
>> Do you suppose there's anything to the speculation in these two articles?
>>
>> ------------
>> Nvidia Fakes Fermi Boards at GPU Technology Conference
>> http://www.semiaccurate.com/2009/10/01/nvidia-fakes-fermi-boards-gtc/
>>
>> Nvidia Kills GTX285, GTX275, GTX260, Abandons the Mid and High End Market
>> Full on retreat, can't compete with ATI
>> http://www.semiaccurate.com/2009/10/06/nvidia-kills-gtx285-gtx275-gtx260-abandons-mid-and-high-end-market/
>> ------------
>>
>> Personally, I have come to prefer Intel, since even the newest chipsets
>> are supported by current X.org releases almost as quickly as the
>> hardware comes out. ATI is somewhat behind that curve.
>>

> I also find myself most comfortable with the Intel chips. They are
> most easily run and supported for my needs, but I understand they
> aren't as great for some of the more intensive needs. I don't find
> that to be a problem though.
>
> If I had to choose between ATI and NVidia though, I'd choose NVidia.
> They do seem to be a little easier to use in the open source OS
> environment, in my experience.

Driver support has been been better for nVidia than ATI. Intel support
is flaky at best. It's a real shame to loose nVidia, but I fear that's
what will happen.

Fred

--
To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or that we
are to stand by the president right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and