[CS-FSLUG] Gnome and stuff

Ed Hurst ehurst at soulkiln.org
Mon Oct 5 20:44:59 CDT 2009

On Mon, 05 Oct 2009 18:45:37 -0500, Cia Watson <ciamarie at my180.net> wrote:

> Since this is a Christian group, thought I'd throw out my comment that
> I've only been a linux user since about May of this year, started with
> Fedora 7 using gnome; but I wouldn't use evolution as a matter of
> principle. (I don't believe in evolution!) Silly? Maybe.

My own complaint is the devs refuse to make it possible to check one
account at a time. It's all or nothing, and that's just inexcusable. I
know for a fact this was requested back some years ago.

> No Bible software for CentOS though, I did install Sword, after
> getting some help on their forums. If anyone wants it, they have a
> tutorial I can send a link. Xiphos wouldn't install, it said no sword
> found :-( -- I was tired of fussing with things so I just installed
> wine and eSword (which won't run) and Theophilos; which does run.

My own preference remains CentOS 5. I've tested Win2K, XP, multiple Linux
distros, two BSDs, and a couple of not-yet-ready other OSes on my Inspiron
4100. Nothing works as well for my use as CentOS 5.

I simply built the older Gnomesword myself, after building Clucene and
Sword from source. Xiphos won't build on the older GNOME libs used for
CentOS, in spite of efforts to test tweaks suggested by folks who surely
knew more than I. I'm happy with older stuff when it works. I've already
raised enough hackles complaining about the breakneck rush to upgrade
versus my preference for stable and reliable stuff, so I'll refrain from
detailing it yet again.

--
Ed Hurst