[CS-FSLUG] SuSE

David McGlone david at dmcentral.net
Thu Oct 1 18:20:37 CDT 2009

On Thursday 01 October 2009 3:49:21 pm Timothy Butler wrote:
> Well, KDE is sort of like a shiny Pinto these days. Windows is more
> like a KIA without the ten year warranty. Move up to a Chevy by
> switching to GNOME or go for a BMW by switching to Mac OS X. :-P
>
> If your more of a Tesla kind a guy, go for Haiku.
>
> 	-Tim

I took your advice Tim. I installed Gnome alongside my KDE and I'm trying it
out right now.

Right off the bat I can tell by the looks of how text actually fit into dialogs,
dialogs resize automatically accordingly, that it seems well thought out and
attention is paid to detail.

So far I've checked out Totem, it works good. I even like the youtube thing.
Pretty cool if you ask me.

I even like the default software installer, "add/remove programs" and it works
far better than the one in KDE. Why is this so??? I have to install synaptic
on KDE because their software installer is junk!

Here's something else:

After you suggested Gnome, I installed it on my laptop while my desktop was
downloading OpenSuSE 11.1.

When the download was done, I tried to burn the ISO to a CD and K3B spit out
and error "cd record has no permissions to open device" I tried like 3 times
and wasted 3 CD-R's.

I then went to gnome and tried using the CD/DVD creator and it worked without
a hitch.

Here's another thing thats funny. the SuSE ISO I downloaded, Kubuntu named it
"Kubuntu-live-CD.iso"

Last but not least, after I send this E-Mail, It's time to put Gnome to the
test for my original problem. Scanning.

If you know of any good scanning apps specific to gnome that you would
recommend, shoot me an e-mail.

I think I'll ditch the SuSE Idea for the time being and give Gnome a try,
because I just can't bring myself to give up apt. It stops me in my tracks
every darn time! :-)

--
Blessings
David M.