[CS-FSLUG] Is desktop Linux too fragmented to succeed? ubuntu LTS

Georges Rodier georges.rodier at gmail.com
Tue May 5 23:49:48 CDT 2009

On Tue, May 5, 2009 at 2:13 PM, Ed Hurst <ehurst at soulkiln.org>
wrote:
> > They won't get more until they move closer to the long release cycle
> of the
> > commercial heavy-weights. That and some other advice they have so far
> > spurned, but it's the defacto standard for now.
Then, on Tue, 5 May 2009 15:51:17 +0200 Jon Glass <jonglass at usa.net>
replied:

    Actually, Ubuntu does it both ways, with the LTS branch that gets
    extended-term support (Long Term Support). I'm currently running it on
    both my computers that are running Linux, for this reason. Why upgrade
    every 6 months?

Ubuntu LTS releases come out every eighteen months BUT support for each
is three (3) years for the desktop edition and five (5) years for the
server edition.  Seems a reasonable set of cycles for many businesses, eh?

See
http://www.ubuntu.com/products/whatisubuntu/serveredition/techspecs/8.04LTS

For the desktop user there is even a setting to not be advised of any
new versions until the next LTS release. I'm still running 8.04 Hardy
Heron on my desktop - and yes, there are updates - BUT, I especially
like the fact that my applications are also updated .  On my WinXP and
my Wife's Vista machine one has to check for updates on each individual
application (unless, an app has automatic advisory capability - and then
it's still an individual update for each application with. often, as
many reboots.

Georges
Richmond, BC
Canada