[CS-FSLUG] wireless network in a disaster?

Ron Thompson ron.t at xplornet.com
Tue May 5 08:25:54 CDT 2009

On Tuesday 05 May 2009 06:43, Marco Tedaldi wrote:
> Frank Bax wrote
>
> > Ron Thompson wrote:
> > > The question is: Is it possible to set up an open wireless router in
> >
> > such a
> >
> > > way that anyone who finds it could communicate to the host computer?
> >
> > The
> >
> > > internet isn't available so normal e-mail isn't available.
> >
> > The router is the "host".  Most routers will do what you want "out of
> > the box"; since they have DHCP enabled.  With DHCP enabled; computers
> > are able to connect to the router either wired or wireless.  All
> > computers that obtained their ip address from the same router will be
> > able to communicate with each other.
>
> Right. so all the Clients must be in relatively close proximity to the
> router.
>
> > Any consumer grade UPS that is designed to run a desktop system for
> > 15-30 minutes will run a router for several hours.  A DC/AC converter
> > connected to your vehicle's lighter outlet will easily turn that vehicle
> > into a generator.
>
> If you have a good router with a somewhat well designed power circuit (like
> the WRT54GL does) you don't ned 230V (110V) but just bare about 12V DC.
> This type of router accepts 4.5V..22V as input. Quite nice :-)
>
> > What kind of communication are you expecting bewteen these connected
> > computers?  You won't need email since the range of wireless signal on
> > routers is so low you can more easily use verbal communication to speak
> > to the other party.  For long range communication, the trick will be to
> > get multiple routers connected to each other!  That's normally what the
> > internet does - without telephone or internet support, it won't be so
> > easy.
>
> And thats the point when mesh networks jump in. The Routers shall
> communicate which each other wirelessly. The just needs to be a dynamic
> routing protocol (and the routers need to communicate in ad-hoc mode with
> each other). There are quite a few networks running this way around the
> world. Some of them with several hundered nodes.
>
> cu

A couple of ideas come to mind.  One was to promote an idea such as the ICE
(In Case of Emergency) numbers used for cell phones, something that would be
universally understood, but for wireless networks.  Perhaps ICE software that
could access emergency routers (part of an emergency preparedness network)
with local webpages with disaster / relief information and communications.
It wouldn't necessarily have to be part of a larger network if a few of these
provided critical local services to an emergency commnad centre.

Another question was, what, if any, usuable information does a router
broadcast.  If the router broadcast a website address as its identification
then by looking at the available routers someone would see one named
www.localemergency.net would they be able to establish a browser connection
to the host, even with the internet down, by accessing the webpage through
that router.  I hope I've explained this well enough.

BTW, thanks for the suggestions on suitable battery powered routers.

    Ron

--
Ron Thompson, |^|
Yellowknife, NT, Canada