[CS-FSLUG] Linux Today - Is desktop Linux too fragmented to succeed? A friend tells it like it is!!

Jon Glass jonglass at usa.net
Tue May 5 01:12:50 CDT 2009

On Tue, May 5, 2009 at 12:49 AM, Fred A. Miller <fmiller at lightlink.com> wrote:
> This is all nonsense. It SHOULD be available, and it can easily be done
> as "advanced settings" or some other descriptor. There's NO valid excuse
> for not supplying GUI advanced config. tools, IMHO.

Gnome does have a "gui" tool for setting esoteric settings.
gnome-settings-manager, or some-such. I forget its name right now, but
it shows a list of all apps on the left, with disclosure triangles,
and when you click on a setting, you can change it on the right.
Granted, it's all text (and boolean true/false), but hey, it's better
than using a text editor. ;-) When I first set up Gnome, I always
launch this app, and move my titlebar buttons to the left with it.

--
 -Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland