[CS-FSLUG] Linux Today - Is desktop Linux too fragmented to succeed? A friend tells it like it is!!

Timothy Butler tbutler at ofb.biz
Sun May 3 20:45:57 CDT 2009

>> like with some fit and finish it could be far more interesting than
>> GNOME or KDE.
>
> I'll go with pushing Haiku, if only because the GUI is vastly
> superior to X. I'm praying the Haiku folks can come up with a
> functional ACPI framework for suspend modes, and a strong driver set
> for wifi. That's about all it would take for me to switch.

	I'm not sure why one of the big OEMs doesn't dump some money into
Haiku to finish it up. For the amount HP spent on its skin for its
netbook Linux, for example, they perhaps could have had a entirely
unique OS to call its own. (And, since it would be paying for the
drivers, for at least awhile, the OS would naturally favor its own
hardware.)

	-Tim

---
Timothy R. Butler | "Because philosophy arises from awe, a philosopher
tbutler at ofb.biz   | is bound in  his  way to  be a lover of myths  and
www.uninet.info   | poetic fables. Poets and philosophers are alike in
timothybutler.us  | being big with wonder."
                                                      -- Thomas Aquinas