[CS-FSLUG] Fragmentation over non-critical matters wastes resources

Timothy Butler tbutler at ofb.biz
Sun May 3 19:41:25 CDT 2009

On May 3, 2009, at 7:37 PM, Karl Kleinpaste wrote:

> Timothy Butler <tbutler at ofb.biz> writes:
>> my point is that it would bring Linux development much closer to Mac
>> OS X development.
>
> I for one do not regard MacOSX parity as an asymptote toward which to
> strive.  If I wanted a Mac, I'd buy a Mac.

	No, what I'm thinking of more than cloning a Mac is gaining Mac
software. You have a lot of independent developers on the Mac that
would be far more open minded towards porting their wares to Linux if
they could easily do so. You have even more people who are getting
their first taste of development via Object C/Cocoa. If those
developers like what they learn, and have a good place to take it to...

	I would note that trying to clone what is good about the Mac is
probably worthwhile though, since it garners near universal praise.
Not to compete with the Mac, but rather to catch those people who ooh
and aah over it, but want a $300 netbook or a $1,000 tower rather than
a $999 laptop or a $2,200 workstation.

	-Tim

---
Timothy R. Butler | "Aim at heaven and you will get earth thrown in.
Editor, OfB.biz   |  Aim at earth and you get neither."
tbutler at ofb.biz   |                                   -- C.S. Lewis
timothybutler.us  |