[CS-FSLUG] Hacker...Me

Frank Bax fbax at sympatico.ca
Wed Jan 28 21:26:50 CST 2009

Stephen J. McCracken wrote:
> Jonathan E. Brickman wrote:
>> UltraVNC ( http://www.ultravnc.com ) is the best I've seen under XP.
>> Under Vista, all I would use is RDP, there is an RDP client for Linux
>> which works well.
>
> If I remember correctly, RDP logs out any already logged in user while
> VNC connects directly to any already running session.

If you use rdp to login as a user with admin priviledges; you can force
logout of existing sessions.  If the account you access does not have
admin priviledges; you cannot force logout of another user. You can take
control of current session away from local user if the account you
access is already logged in.  rdp does not allow access to an account
without a password.

VNC can allow someone at remote site to participate in a "shared"
session; good for training, but interesting results when both local and
remote mouse is moved.  It is possible to lockout local input/display so
remote has full control (when you don't want local user to know what
changes you are making).  VNC also allows server to initiate connection
with viewer.  VNC has its own access password; it will connect no matter
what user is currently logged in.

Neither program allows multiple concurrent login on Windows (you need
terminal server software for this).  VNC server on Linux can be
configured to allow multiple remote connection (each with their own
session).

Each program has pro/con; which one is *best* depends on what you need.