[CS-FSLUG] Hacker...Me

Frank Bax fbax at sympatico.ca
Wed Jan 28 18:28:52 CST 2009

Robert Wohlfarth wrote:
> "Jim Isbell, W5JAI" <jim.isbell at gmail.com> wrote:
>> 1b) Also involved with this project is trying to figure out how to
>> use my desktop running Freespire 2.0 Linux to connect to the
>> telephone server on the LAN so that I can use my keyboard and monitor
>> to operate the XP computer by remote.  Maybe not possible as I have
>> never been able to get the Linux computer to interface with my wife's
>> XP PC either.  Maybe there is some software that will pull the two
>> together???
>
> VNC is always a good option. Install a VNC server on XP. Make sure you
> run it as a service. Then access XP from Linux using a VNC client.
> xtightvncviewer works pretty well.

Is the XP system XP-home or XP-Pro?  If it's XP-Pro, don't waste your
time with VNC; just run rdesktop on Linux to connect to XP.  On the XP
system, you'll need:
1) enable "Remote Desktop" in XP firewall
2) My Computer - Properties - Allow users to connect remotely (also add
users to list)
3) User accounts accessed remotely must have passwords.

If it's XP-home; then VNC is a good option.

The rdp protocol seems to send ALL video changes to remote; whereas VNC
samples video and sends changes after (short) periods of time.  This
means that rdp is not a good idea for video or applications with
excessive animation.