[CS-FSLUG] EU says IE violates antitrust

Jason P. Franklin jpfagapeu at mac.com
Thu Jan 22 17:33:55 CST 2009

On Jan 22, 2009, at 3:16 PM, Fred A. Miller wrote:

> Legatus wrote:
>> On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 01:38, Davo Smith
>> <christiansource at davosmith.co.uk> wrote:

>>> Because MS has a practical monopoly on the desktop and has been/is
>>> using that to push their browser.
>>>
>> I think that this is backwards. The only reason that I have any
>> windows desktops is because there are certain sites that I must use
>> that require Internet Explorer.  I have no other use for MS
>> Windows. I
>> can run anything else I need in linux, even if it sometimes requires
>> wine. MS could care less about their free browser, but it is one of
>> the few things that keeps people using windows in their homes.
>
> I DON'T know of any site where one would have to use that intrusive
> garbage. I've always managed between FF and Konqi. to access any
> site I
> had to access.
>
> Fred

I'm constantly running into sites that either simply won't display or
will only display in part because they are designed specifically with M
$ft tech to be viewed by IE.  I've managed to get one of these sites
to produce a browser neutral version of their information just by
being polite and pointing out the advantages to them should they
decide to do so.

Jason P. Franklin
Christian/Husband/Father/Missionary
Westwood Bible Fellowship