[CS-FSLUG] National Safety Council Urges Total Ban on Cell Use While Driving

David McGlone d.mcglone at att.net
Tue Jan 20 21:50:44 CST 2009

On Tuesday 20 January 2009 10:56:02 am Davo Smith wrote:

> >> Fair point and I agree about the distraction element - I'd never use a
> >> hands-free kit myself, I just let my wife answer the phone instead
> >> (unless she was the one driving!).
> >
> > The way I look at it, a hands free solution would be equivalent to
> > talking to a passenger sitting next to you.
>
> Except that a passenger can see the road conditions and observe your
> body language, so you don't have to tell them 'hang on a minute, the
> traffic's getting worse', they can see that. Also when talking on the
> phone your mind focus is taken away from your immediate surroundings
> to an abstract voice many miles away, which *is* different from having
> a person next to you in the same car.
>
> Still 'only hands-free' is better than unrestricted mobile phone use,

I can't agree with you on this one. The reason being is because I am Hearing
Impaired, and have a Cochlear Implant and I have to concentrate hard on
listening to a conversation while driving when someone is in the passenger
seat just as hard as I would if they were on a cell phone. I actually think
it's even better to talk to the dashboard than it is to talk to someone
sitting next to you because, when someone is sitting next to you, you tend to
look their way every so often, as I do. Even more so in my case, because I am
so used to reading lips when having a conversation while the person is
present.

I've actually caught myself reading the passengers lips and when looking to
the right in their direction, the car would slightly veer to the right. My
wife has actually had to tell me to watch the road.

But when talking to a mic on the dash, your eyes are straight ahead, watching
traffic, checking mirrors, odometer, etc.

So with my condition and my observations I don't think that your mind is taken
away from your immediate surroundings at all.

So take it from me, talking to a passenger is more hazardous than talking to a
microphone on the dash.

--
David McG.