[CS-FSLUG] National Safety Council Urges Total Ban on Cell Use While Driving

Jon Glass jonglass at usa.net
Tue Jan 20 10:57:47 CST 2009

On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 5:14 PM, Legatus <lists at runyanrants.net> wrote:

> I don't agree with any restriction. Its micromanaging our tasks.

Agreed. Not only that, but I read about a study several years ago,
that showed that eating while driving was far more distractive than
cell phone conversation, and just about as prevalent. Also, putting on
makeup (see it many mornings, even here in Krakow), shaving, reading
(yes, reading in traffic, and yes, I've been guilty of it--but reading
maps is included), and other things were no less "dangerous" than cell
phones. We haven't even discussed GPS--I can well imagine that that
can be far more distracting than a phone call.... Are we ready to
outlaw all of these activities? No? Why not? And even if yes, is this
what government is for? Nanny-state?

--
 -Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland