[CS-FSLUG] More autofs/smb mystery

Jonathan E. Brickman jeb at joshuacorps.org
Sun Jan 18 14:12:03 CST 2009

>> OK.  The plot thickens.  The shares are being automounted r-x, even
>> though the modes are set at 0660 for files and 0770 for directories.
>> But if I CD one level down in the share, everything is right.  Anyone
>> have a clue?  This seems to happen a lot with autofs (been web-surfing),
>> but no solution found yet.
>>
>> jeb at jebslinux /var/autofs/smb $ ls -l
>> total 0
>> dr-xr-x--- 1 jeb users 0 2009-01-06 21:07 MYDOCS
>> jeb at jebslinux /var/autofs/smb $ cd /var/autofs/smb
>> jeb at jebslinux /var/autofs/smb $ ls -l
>> total 0
>> dr-xr-x--- 1 jeb users 0 2009-01-06 21:07 MYDOCS
>> jeb at jebslinux /var/autofs/smb $ ls -l MYDOCS/Tracts
>> total 7508
>> -rw-rw---- 1 jeb users 3731841 2007-10-04 18:57 Signs to Heaven
>> (darker).png -rw-rw---- 1 jeb users 3945310 2007-10-04 18:57 Signs to
>> Heaven
>> (original).png
>> -rw-rw---- 1 jeb users    2560 2007-10-04 18:57 Thumbs.db
>> jeb at jebslinux /var/autofs/smb $
>>

> This may not be good practice, but have you tried mounting the shares as user
> instead of root?

'autofs' does mounting as root only, so far as I can tell -- unless you
know how to get autofs to mount as user?

I can set up a manual mount script, but 'mount' requires root, I haven't
found a real way around that and don't expect to do so, 'mount' is a
very dangerous command which I would prefer not to see user-runnable.

J.E.B.