[CS-FSLUG] autofs and SMB under Ubuntu

Jonathan E. Brickman jeb at joshuacorps.org
Sat Jan 17 23:33:32 CST 2009

Well, I got autofs set up, and it works wonderfully...except that
apparently under the current Ubuntu[Mint]/Gnome setup, autofs/SMB shares
don't work.  This is a publicly reported bug, not rectified yet.  I can
do whatever I want on command-line with my autofs shares, but I cannot
create or edit anything with Nautilus or Gedit, to name just two.  I'm
installing the current KDE4 now, we'll see what happens.  This is
desktop Linux at its current insane level.  I cannot recommend a current
stock off-the-DVD Ubuntu desktop in an SMB share environment?  Pfui.

I found another way to describe what I'm after:  a Windows/Netware-style
user logon script with persistent drive mappings.  It should be
superuser-editable, but user-runnable.  Anyone have an easy way?  I have
done it with a chmod +s to 'mount', but I am told this is not good
security-wise.

J.E.B.