[CS-FSLUG] sudo, alternatives, configurators

l4c at thelinuxlink.net l4c at thelinuxlink.net
Sun Jan 11 09:19:28 CST 2009

On Sun, 11 Jan 2009, Jonathan E. Brickman wrote:

>>> Do you have a simple way to have SMB NAS or XP Home shares mount
>>> automatically at login? J.E.B.
>>
>> Close..  Here's what I would do for "ease of use" sake..  Use either Gnome
>> or KDE as the default desktop and drop a couple icons on the desktop that
>> point to the cifs/smb shares.  They'll auth and mount up when you open
>> them.
> Now, now, Linc, that's not really close and you know it :-)  That gives me a
> degree of access, but then I have to tapdance through Gnome or KDE internals
> to use those icons like the fake mounts they are.  I don't want fake mounts;
> I want real mounts.  Anything else is an automatic bug-spawner not at all
> transportable across desktop environments.
> Mount-fakery is frankly one of the things I find most foolish about both
> Gnome and KDE.  It is very deceptive to a newby.  They think they're getting
> a working mount, and on some distros it works for a few apps -- but breaks on
> most, and then they try command-line and the house of flashpaper-cards
> flashes to ash.  Blaugh.
>
> I'll probably try the FUSE SMB filesystems again.  I saw something recent
> which said one of them was working.
>
> J.E.B.

Why not just make s script to do it then?

#!/bin/bash
mkdir -p /home/username/mymount
sudo mount -t cifs //server/share /home/username/mymount -o uid=username

Then have your user run that script to initiate their mount.
Alternatively, you can add the password into that script as well and use
the whole thing as a startup script.  Of course you could also just put
the necessary info into the /etc/fstab.

--
-Linc Fessenden