[CS-FSLUG] Permissions Structure

Ed Hurst ehurst at soulkiln.org
Sat Jan 10 11:46:35 CST 2009

On Sat, 10 Jan 2009, l4c at thelinuxlink.net wrote:

> As far as the other permissions, just take a good look around and take stock
> of what you really want you user to be able to do.  Many times it's as simple
> as including your user into another group (or two), and that's really simple
> to do.

Precisely. Is there an existing group or groups by default?

The most serious issue is not reading logs, but the file transer
problems. I realize Joe User won't be using an ext3 USB flash drive,
but that problem with writing via rsync signals an underlying
limitation not useful for the desktop home user. I'm concerned he will
do something he thinks is quite ordinary behavior, which I might not
have tried, and won't understand why it's blocked.

Is there something in the way CentOS/RH mounts external file systems
which restricts the user?

--
Ed Hurst