[CS-FSLUG] Alpine for email

l4c at thelinuxlink.net l4c at thelinuxlink.net
Wed Jan 7 11:43:30 CST 2009

On Wed, 7 Jan 2009, Ed Hurst wrote:

> On Wed, 7 Jan 2009, l4c at thelinuxlink.net wrote:
>
>> Not necessarily.  My work lappy and one of my home machines are
>> snappier than that, however, what I use most for my email is my
>> netbook, an acer aspire one, which is 1.6ghz. Your system should work
>> great with alpine. Your only problem may be your bandwidth
>> limitations. Even at 200K you should be able to jump through your
>> emails rather quickly I would imagine.
>
> I know it sure is a lot of fun doing it the old way. I managed to get
> Fetchmail and Postfix running satisfactorily on my home DSL. Tim fixed
> it so I can bypass AT&T port blocking by using 26 for SMTP on our
> server. Fetchmail is getting pretty cranky these days, but I figured it
> out. I use the latest Alpine for the actual mail client.
>
> I've always loved doing it his way, and my next trick is learning to
> incorporate spam filtering. I'm not getting much of that right now.

Yes sir, my home email is set up much the same way.  Fetchmail grabs email
from multiple accounts and stuffs it into email account on home mail
server.  Home mail server runs imap, which is exported through my home
router (yay dyndns) so that I can get it anywhere I have internet access.

Then I have imap email accounts from work, some from my hosting provider,
and gmail as well, but they all play well together with screen and alpine
:-)

--
Lincoln Fessenden
Jeff-IT Linux Systems Administrator