[CS-FSLUG] Alpine for email

l4c at thelinuxlink.net l4c at thelinuxlink.net
Wed Jan 7 10:23:42 CST 2009

On Wed, 7 Jan 2009, Jonathan E. Brickman wrote:

>>> Are you using an IMAP server on your LAN, or an ISP's IMAP server?  If so,
>>> what is your ISP??? :-)
>>>
>>> J.E.B.
>>>

>> Both, actually.  While at work, I get work emails from the LAN there and
>> from my home server (on Comcast), and when I am at home, it's exactly the
>> opposite.  And then from both places I get imap emails from my colo'd mail
>> server (Bluehost.com) and also from gmail (yes, I get a lot of email :-)
>>
> OK, this is getting interesting.  I would be setting up Alpine right now if
> it were fast enough on my home LPC.  I've got 2.2 GHz Duron, 1G RAM, 200 kbps
> low-echelon-broadband, Cox cable.  Are you running more modern horsepower?
>
> J.E.B.

Not necessarily.  My work lappy and one of my home machines are snappier
than that, however, what I use most for my email is my netbook, an acer
aspire one, which is 1.6ghz.  Your system should work great with alpine.
Your only problem may be your bandwidth limitations.  Even at 200K you
should be able to jump through your emails rather quickly I would imagine.

--
Lincoln Fessenden
Jeff-IT Linux Systems Administrator