[CS-FSLUG] Windows 7: The beginning of the end of the "Wintel" duopoly?

Nathan Thompson celerate at gmail.com
Wed Jan 7 09:27:07 CST 2009

Frank Bax wrote:
> Jonathan E. Brickman wrote:
>> If one wants a reliable Windows, though, one should run Server 2008.
>> Runs all the same apps, faster, more stably, more RAM available.
>> More expensive, too, of course.
>
> Server 2008 uses the same kernel as Vista SP1 - where do the
> improvements you claim come from?  Are you comparing Server 2008 to
> original Vista release?

The RTM for Vista was late in 2006, the RTM for Windows Server 2008 was
in February 2008 according to Wikipedia. I'm not saying Microsoft fixed
most of the flaws in that time, but they would have had time to tweak
the kernel, services and bundled applications. More importantly it
doesn't run a lot of the same services and software by default that
Vista does simply because it's intended as a server OS. Not that I'm for
the idea of using Windows Server 2008.