[CS-FSLUG] IMAP email software

l4c l4c at thelinuxlink.net
Tue Jan 6 20:19:17 CST 2009

Jonathan E. Brickman wrote:
> l4c at thelinuxlink.net wrote:
>> On Sun, 4 Jan 2009, Jonathan E. Brickman wrote:
>>
>>> as the first step.  Yecch.  I also tried alpine again, and remembered
>>> why IMAP was originally known as a terribly resource-heavy protocol
>>> originally: alpine, like pine, doesn't cache anything, and
>>> (shockingly) is slower today on my broadband than pine was in 1994
>>> over my prized 28.8 with Slackware.
>>
>> Curious..  I switch between Thunderbird and Alpine, but mostly use
>> Alpine these days because it's FASTER!  I use it for 5 IMAPed email
>> accounts (screen+alpine is a thing of beauty) some of which generate
>> several hundred emails per day.  I never see any lag or poor
>> performance there at all (well, unless my mail server is down for some
>> reason).  Perhaps it's a version thing?  I am using Ubuntu 8.04 with:
>>
> Are you using an IMAP server on your LAN, or an ISP's IMAP server?  If
> so, what is your ISP??? :-)
>
> J.E.B.

Both, actually.  While at work, I get work emails from the LAN there and
from my home server (on Comcast), and when I am at home, it's exactly
the opposite.  And then from both places I get imap emails from my
colo'd mail server (Bluehost.com) and also from gmail (yes, I get a lot
of email :-)

--
-Linc Fessenden