[CS-FSLUG] IMAP email software

l4c at thelinuxlink.net l4c at thelinuxlink.net
Mon Jan 5 06:47:39 CST 2009

On Sun, 4 Jan 2009, Jonathan E. Brickman wrote:

> as the first step.  Yecch.  I also tried alpine again, and remembered why
> IMAP was originally known as a terribly resource-heavy protocol originally:
> alpine, like pine, doesn't cache anything, and (shockingly) is slower today
> on my broadband than pine was in 1994 over my prized 28.8 with Slackware.

Curious..  I switch between Thunderbird and Alpine, but mostly use Alpine
these days because it's FASTER!  I use it for 5 IMAPed email accounts
(screen+alpine is a thing of beauty) some of which generate several
hundred emails per day.  I never see any lag or poor performance there at
all (well, unless my mail server is down for some reason).  Perhaps it's a
version thing?  I am using Ubuntu 8.04 with:

lcf004 at linc:~$ alpine -v
Alpine 1.00 (DEB 882 2007-12-20) built Thu Feb 7 02:57:08 UTC 2008 on
rothera
lcf004 at linc:~$

--
Lincoln Fessenden