[CS-FSLUG] PDL thoughts, and installing GoboLinux

Ed Hurst ehurst at soulkiln.org
Sat Jan 3 07:15:26 CST 2009

Jonathan E. Brickman wrote:

> Just tentatively now, if I end up starting a real Linux desktop
> project, I'm thinking of calling it Paradigm Desktop Linux, PDL for
> short.  It fits an inner mnemonic I use sometimes; there are many
> paradigms, but only one true Paradigm which is altogether good, and
> towards this it is good for all of us to strive.

I find something in this irresistibly funny. On the one hand, most of us
recognize it as a favorite of the marketing babble crowd. The word
itself simply means a good model to emulate. Anyone willing to create a
new distro must at least half-believe that of their project, or they
won't bother. At the same time, choosing that as part of the name seems
a subtle attempt to say, "We don't take ourselves that seriously."

I'll vote for that.

--
Ed Hurst