[CS-FSLUG] A new distro model for the real-world desktop

Ed Hurst ehurst at soulkiln.org
Thu Jan 1 14:40:53 CST 2009

Timothy Butler wrote:

> That's why Mac OS X is the only successful UNIX on the desktop for
> average users. (Ironically, it is certified UNIX(R) unlike Linux.)
> And, while it may not favor the "techie" way of doing things often, I
> think that alone merits good reason to pay attention to its methods
> when considering how to make Linux a better desktop platform. Doing it
> the way it has always been done hasn't gotten us anywhere, as Jonathan
> noted.

This much is true. The trick is do find a Linux answer to Mac, not some
slavish copy. For example, I don't care how trivial it sounds, having a
mouse clipboard separate from any GUI clipboard is critical to how I
work. It's a primary reason I reject Mac. I realize I can run the X
server on Mac and get it to work for X-based apps, but that's not Mac,
that's a hack, a failure to port from X to Cocoa.

Which brings up another question, perhaps worthy of a separate thread:
Is it just me, or is X.org really badly broken lately? I'm reading what
seems like a rapid rise in complaints about stuff directly related to
X.org on lots of forums. Debian's devs say it's not working properly,
and they simply cannot script the X server setup as they had in the
past. When I run X configure utility directly, it's leaving out a *lot*
of stuff it used to write automatically. There are other complaints
about breaking configs carried over from the previous version. I noticed
the nv driver will no longer support what my chipset and monitor can do,
without significant artifacts.

--
Ed Hurst