[CS-FSLUG] Desktop Distro Model, 0.3

Ed Hurst ehurst at soulkiln.org
Thu Jan 1 07:17:33 CST 2009

Jon Glass wrote:
> 2009/1/1 Jonathan E. Brickman <jeb at joshuacorps.org>:
>> Image-only installation, instead of package-installs.  This is becoming the
>> new standard in both Linux and Windows, and it produces a more predictable
>> result, because packages often break at bare-hardware-install due to timing
>> and power management and simplified install-time drivers and other factors.
>
> Could you explain what "image-only installation" means? that's a new
> term for me, but I wonder if I'm already familiar with the concept...

I am. A recent example is openSUSE 11.1. If you select the GNOME
desktop, the installation copies whole file trees. While the system
recognizes them as RPM packages, the actual initial install process
simply dumps (but orderly) the whole structure of this package set as a
single operation onto the hard drive.

--
Ed Hurst