[CS-FSLUG] Choice of desktop environment

Jon Glass jonglass at usa.net
Thu Jan 1 04:37:09 CST 2009

2009/1/1 Jonathan E. Brickman <jeb at joshuacorps.org>:
> Puppy is using something very light and very stable, anyone know what it is?

Puppy uses jwm for its window manager, and Roxfiler for
filemanagement, and, I think, its desktop. Some people don't like its
single-click interface, but my Dad found it a great boon. He could
never remember when to single-click and when to double-click. Drag and
drop is also implemented, but dragging and dropping an icon pops up a
window with choices for what to do. Again, my dad, who struggles
understanding computers, loves that feature, as it tells him what he
can do with it. Also, since he struggles a bit with Parkinson's, or
something similar, it makes his life a bit easier than the
double-click, etc. world of Mac and Windows. I find Puppy's interface
for non-computer users to be refreshingly simple, but people who
expect more might want more. However, for your "infra" level, this
combo might be ideal. Of course, any wm would work, I suppose.

Somebody also mentioned GWorkspace. It's got some nice features, but
it's so different, that I fear people would be intimidated. Also, it
seems to fill the screen with big, ugly buttons and icons. Worse, it
seems to not work properly. I thought I would like it, coming from Mac
OSX, but I didn't. Worse, I couldn't get apt to remove it completely.
I wouldn't recommend it for general users.

(And yes, I did a lot of experimenting this past year on my Pismo
(Ubuntu, and X11 under OSX, and a Dell 366mhz laptop) ;-)

--
 -Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland